Saturday, January 16, 2010

Shift happens

Blue starched uniforms, a lovely Dutch couple, a series of trash organizers and tired traveling faces. The moving sidewalk takes me past all of these as my legs awaken back to their traveling stride. My head is a bit heavier but my step is lighter. Life is simplified into following signs and directions among strangers, as emotions and thoughts go into overdrive. It has begun and it is about time. I am en route.

I am amazed at how intermixed the world has become since the first time I traveled internationally. You no longer can tell exactly what your end location is by the population sitting at the gate. The development is good, but I sort of miss the pre-departure concentrated cultural immersion. However, I will take sitting next to an adorable African baby any day, especially when the game of the flight seems to be pass the baby round and round.

Next stop, Kampala.

No comments: