Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Household Sex Talk

(my front yard)
Yes, I just used the “s” word and like most advertisements it is in an effort to lure you into reading this. Is it working?

At home in Denver, Brandon and I choose to use sponges as our household cleaning tool. We are not particular with brands and usually end up with the cheapest value pack. We do prefer to get the kind that has one rough side for scrubbing and a gentle absorbent side to give our dishes a good guy/bad guy kind of love. I know some of you are appalled at the idea of sponges (Amber). And trust me, I am the reason people criticize them, the length of time we continue to use the sponge before we finally succumb to the fact that it is now actually just spreading bacteria on our dishes instead of cleaning them is embarrassing. Aside from this, I think sponges have gotten an unnecessary bad rep. There is something exhilarating about ripping open the package and pulling out a brightly colored, virgin sponge. Unknowingly, its rough side ready to rumble, the soft side quick to absorb soap. When a guest comes over and sees an unspotted sponge sitting next to the faucet, there is no shame, it is as if dirt doesn’t even exist in your house. Yes, there really is something charming about a virgin sponge.

I can confidently say that I am not that kind of sponge. I have reached a point where I am honestly comfortable and enjoy living abroad, not because I like adding colorful visas to my passport or because I think I will be able to save people; but because I like new communities and the challenge of adaptation. I have reached a point where I go into restaurants, bathrooms and take transportation and notice the reaction of foreigners around me. Sometimes they are amazed and/or appalled by the standards and habits. I am not. I don’t say this with a cocky air or with the assumption that most people are sheltered, but mainly out of a subtle, surprising, personal insight. I have honestly reached a point where doing this is natural for me. The situation is new but my level of comfort is not. I am able to connect and relax with my host family and prefer being away in the village, which is allowing me to take full advantage of my time here.

However, there is a slight sadness to this newly recognized development. There is a certain kind of excitement and willingness to soak it all in when you are a virgin traveler that you just can’t get back. Though I am happy to be a ‘been around the sink sort of gal’, and do not think I will ever stop being amazed or curious, every once in awhile I wish I was that bright little yellow sponge sitting next to the faucet.

3 comments:

e-child said...

Did you know that nasty sponges can be nuked in the microwave for 10 seconds to kill all of the bacteria...BAM virgin sponge again. I'm just sayin'.... love the videos and pictures. It's amazing to see how much you have changed in your world view since your first go-around.

kyra said...

actually that is fantastic to know! too bad i have not seen a microwave anywhere in uganda. in fact i am struggling to find an oven. but i will take home that nugget of knowledge.
ill try to post more videos and pictures.
thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your posts...this is a great one! Nice work.