Sunday, January 3, 2010

An elegant adventure

I normally seek out efficiency and organized clarity in my life, I have learned through these past several years that the Lord, lucky for me, has a different system that is superior. So now is the right time. I am going to Africa.

I will stop in Philly for a few days and then on January 14th after a first time, one hour visit to New York, I will board a plane to Amsterdam with the final destination being Kampala, Uganda.

Some people have had a lifelong desire to go to Africa and some have already had an experience that has caused them to fall in love with Africa. I have had neither. But ever since my first weekend journey in Thailand many years ago, I knew that the world no longer had boundaries and I had adapted a mindset of necessary transition. I am a very lucky girl.

I am no longer my younger self, worried if I will love the place, the people, what I am doing or if I will miss my people, my space and my comforts. I feel conciliation that I will be swept up and yes, I will miss all those things, but it will make for a classical bittersweet return at the end of 3 months.

Now the real question is- will I eat the fried termites?


2 comments:

John and Bethany said...

Good luck Kyra! We loved our experience in Africa. Can't wait to hear about your work and play:)

Nate and Kelly said...

I'll miss you! Thanks for the blog link, I can't wait to follow all of your adventures :) See you in April.