Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rocket Launcher








Now for my favorite part of the story. As part of my internship I was given $200, about 380,000 Ushs to spend in coordination with my project- improved cook stoves. Due to the extensive nature of the grant that initiated the pilot project, my money was not completely necessary for the institutional installation. We began looking at other options and decided, for every kid who eats one meal at school there are 7 people at home that eat 3 meals a day using the 3-stone method of cooking in a mud hut. So we decided to purchase improved household stoves and distribute them to some of the OVC caretakers. Though the money only allows for 12 stoves to be purchased, it is a step to spreading awareness of affordable technology available and a good way to test their impact. So we purchased 12 brightly colored orange cookstoves that instantly make me giddy. Then we picked 12 OVC households in a concentrated area to allow speedy delivery (it is impossible to give based on need, all of them are in need). We loaded up the truck and began.

It took 3 hard days of traveling around in the field to deliver the cook stoves. However, every foot of road that had cracks down to purgatory and every degree above HOT, was worth it to see the faces of the caretakers when we delivered the stoves completely out of surprise. Part of it might have to do with the fact that I had learned and tried to speak just enough Lusoga to introduce myself and tell them I am giving them a cook stove. But the other part of it is clear, who wouldn’t want a better made appliance that makes for less work? Every stop was a community attraction-neighbors and kids would gather around to check out the delivery.

There are very few things I would take in exchange for a day out in the field working with these people and

No comments: