Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Keep It Smart

















I found it incredibly fitting that my final morning living in Kakira seemed to want to give me a hearty summary.


I woke up after a peaceful night of sleeping in a thunderstorm
As I was getting ready, I unexpectedly (yet not the first time) had to clean up and quarantine a discovered flood of ants pillaging the dead bugs that blew in my open window during the night
The gate lock was stuck so I had to climb over the wall to go on my run
The colors from the sunrise seemed to press an illumination button on everything and added a rainbow
My newly washed running shoes were instantly steeped in mud with each step I took
I came home to find my host family making chapatti’s and wanting to teach me
I showered with a jerry can of cold water and no wash basin
I saw two goats bucking horns
My host mom insisted I take a plastic container of chapattis with me
I had to refill the toilet in order to flush it
I passed out toys and candy to the neighborhood kids
The driver was late
I went through the visitor’s only front door as I left
They made me sit in the front seat so the security guards would see a white person and wave us through

No comments: