Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gossip Around the Water Cooler


I know some of you do not read the Book of Mormon. And these verses may not be the typical introduction, but they do embody what is valuable about the BOM, that in the simplest of lines you find meaning you did not expect.

Alma 8:14-32, particularly verse 27

You can find the verses here, but I will summarize. In this chapter, Alma is on his way back to the city to once again preach the word of God, when he meets Amulek. Faithful Amulek, instantly knew that he was the man of God that he is suppose to nourish him. So he did just that. For several days, these two great men tarried together in the home of Amulek before setting off to the city to do the Lord’s work. There is no detail about what went on in those few days. But in the progress to do the most important task of sharing the gospel these two men took a few days to linger. Without explanation, I am sure there were many significant reasons why.
I am always in a hurry. My body and body functions on ultimate capacity. I start my day early, make lists and go from place to place. Like at home, each morning, I wake up very early and run. Each day I run by several watering holes where all types of people in the village come with colored jerry cans to get water for their every day needs. As I run by they stare and as I run back I see individuals straining to carry them the distance to their home. The other day, I saw a older skinny man in black rain boots carry two jugs, one in each hand, 30 feet, stop. Then, go back 30ft. and pick up one jug and carry it the 30ft to meet the other two. Then pick up the other two and repeat the process. I stopped and stood there, contemplating my limited time and my desire to finish the last ½ mile to my house. For once I was the one staring. Then I put my ipod in its plastic bag and walked over to the man and picked up the one jerry can. I then followed him up the dirt hill, down the ditch, along the road, through the alley of mud houses and to his front door. There were no words exchanged beyond an acknowledgement and directional grunting. At his house, his son came out brushing his teeth, laughing.
“Hello! Thank you
“No problem, have a nice day.”
I walked the rest of the way home and did not look at my watch.
This is not a big or unusual act and Ugandans do things like this every day. Ugandans take life at a good pace and maybe with good reason. I like the opportunity to become a little more Ugandan each day.

No comments: